Curriculum Maps and Knowledge Organisers
Our Long Term Plan for years 1-6 is organised into curriculum maps. From these, we have more detailed knowledge organisers for use at the medium term planning stage.
For years 1-6, each curriculum area is organised into units by year group, we call them our 'Curriculum Maps'. They identify:
- The one key piece of learning for each unit
- The ideal year group/key stage for each unit
- Focus and progression of key skills across units (use colour coding schemes at the bottom of each page)
- Wherever possible, options to dovetail units across the curriculum, including EYFS (this creates extra opportunities to embed knowledge and skills)
A copy of each curriculum map is below for every subject. Maths are taken from White Rose.
Each unit on our curriculum map has a knowledge organiser. Some of these are taken from schemes we use (e.g. Suffolk Art and Design, Charanga Music) but many have been written by subject co-ordinators. They:
- Identify prior knowledge and skills that should already be attained by children
- Identify the new knowledge and skills for this unit
- List key vocabulary to be used, learnt and understood
- Are linked (top right hand corner) to which area(s) of the curriculum intent the unit meets
- Contain key images/models/links to further enhance learning
Below is an example of a knowledge organiser. They are published termly for parents on our online learning platform, Tapestry.